Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater

Gameplay looks more akin to pw/mgsv crouch sneaking. I’m really curious if the map has changed at all

I bet they remove the homoeroticism and piss fetish stuff.

4 Likes

I like what I’m seeing. The muck, the textures, the weapons and gear look great. Biggest problem is this feels totally soulless – and I mean the trailer and what I’m seeing in the trailer. Feels like fans made a Snake Eater demo in Unreal engine. You know if Kojima was behind this the reveal, and this little bit of gameplay would have really had us on the edge of our seats…but this? Looks like something you’d see on an unreal dev discord or forum as a WIP.

My other problem is the Tiger Stripe pattern is completely anachronistic.

In MGS3 Snake utilizes a Tiger Stripe pattern close to John Wayne Dense pattern typically characterized by broad, fat black strokes in the pattern. This was one of the first non-SEA/French variations of any Tiger pattern, and was available in the period of time Snake Eater takes place. I personally think Snake’s uniform is closer to Advisor Type Dense but that didn’t really show up until mid-war ('67-68).

John Wayne Dense

The screenshot from MGS:Delta has Snake wearing what I can only describe as late 80’s surplus store trash. It looks like what you’d typically see from commercial hunting brands throughout the 70’s and 80’s, taking inspiration from Korean, Thai, and Philippino patterns. In fact, it looks VERY close to the commercial pattern used in 1989’s Siege on Firebase Gloria (starring R. Lee Ermey) which was filmed in the Philippines.

It could also be of Thai origin, as I’ve seen some TS patterns out of Thailand that look quite similar;

Thai Tiger Stripe

Why does it matter? It’s still tiger stripe…right?! Well, as Charles Eames said “design is in the details” which is a philosophy Kojima obviously made the original series by, as the attention to detail in those games is nearly IMPECCABLE. That’s what makes Metal Gear such a prolific series, and if they can’t even get the damn uniform right…well…

That would be a grave mistake.

4 Likes

I whole heartedly agree with this. The textures and the graphic fidelity looks amazing, but the whole thing just comes across as empty…like you said, a tech demo of sorts. No fun or creativity here.

3 Likes

5 Likes
2 Likes

The true Snake. :face_holding_back_tears: Why Konami…

Gee if only there were a thread to do with the Master Collection rather than Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater

1 Like

Start screen has been revealed. Massive downgrade. A lot of people quick to point out that the 3DS remake had a very similar start screen…but it was an early title on a console that was in 3D so it actually had something of an impact compared to…it in 2D lol.

1 Like

There is nothing I dislike more on a surface level about the current and previous eras of gaming we’ve had than the absolute borefest of main menu screens. Especially in remakes. Disappointing.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I love the original title screen but I never expected anything much deeper than this and it’s not going to define any of my opinion on the game lol. We’ll spend less than 5 seconds looking at this on bootup.

Well it should you melt!

1 Like

I will admit I am annoyed. I always mess around with all the button inputs on the cqc screen. it’s front and center for a reason. new team missed the point, wondering how much more things they’ll overlook.

Pretty excited for this honestly i’m not too bothered by menu screens or whatever. Just being able to properly crouch walk is on its own enough to make this worthwhile.

I’ve heard people theorize that the OG title screen will be unlocked after you beat the game, and I really hope that’s the case. The OG screen is so cool and my favorite from the series, it really leans into the bond-esque super spy vibes the game gives off.

2 Likes

Ugh no new news yet for this damn remake. Slowly I’ve been getting more and more excited, finally bought a PS5 too, not only for this game but it did play a role in me wanting the system. I was hoping for a summer release but that don’t seem likely at all now, plus I saw rumored it was delayed for 2025. Honestly that’s a good thing anyway so it’s in development more. I hope Konami can do this right because this kinda is going to be the one that shows whether they can do them right still or not.

1 Like

Looking good imo

1 Like

Still no release date unfortunately, but I thought the trailer looked pretty slick. I hope the lack of UI on the screen isn’t just for the trailer, or there’s an option to disable any for a more immersive experience for returning players.

Praying for a virtuous mission demo. (definitely not going to happen but I can dream!)

Didn’t say “Kept you waiting, huh?” 3/10.

2 Likes

Audio is just spruced up original MGS3 audio then? Kind of forgot if that was confirmed or not before. Snake sounds the same but Zero feels like his lines sound a little different? I’m not as familiar with MGS3 as the others but did only play it recently. Surely can’t be re-recordings from Hayter anyway given how gruff his voice has become over the years.

Gameplay looks decent. I just wish all the characters didn’t look so pretty. In a Final Fantasy game I can give it a pass for it’s silly nature but in this it just feels wrong.

1 Like