New Segment Skip Glitch Discovered by Streamer

This is actually pretty nuts but very cool too. I enjoy seeing these kind of things being discovered and changing speedruns after however many years of release.

A streamer called Boba, playing MGS for the first time ever, accidentally came across a glitch to skip through the helicopter and rope climb segment in MGS1 by having a guard attack her as she was stood infront of the door. Sources below:

Apparently this has been replicated already and has a potential for a 4 minute skip, potentially more if it can be done on other doors.

Really cool and very interesting. I fucking love shit like this being found years after the fact.

Kotaku article:

2 Likes

This was a great find. The any% category for MGS1 gets even quicker with this. Not that recent but there was also a great new speedrun strat for MGS3 that was discovered some months ago. By doing some tricks you can summon the end right to the starting area of the fight and you can defeat him really fast. Previously you had to go to the cliff north of the map to sneak up behind him.

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of this! Really interesting. It’s exciting to see these strategies eventually optimised and bested through that optimisation and routing. Obviously games like Ocarina of Time, which has one of the biggest any% communities out there, has been systematically destroying that game and pushing it to its limits in totally new ways for years, so seeing ones like MGS3 get that treatment is really cool.

I read about World At War Zombies speedruns to round 50 and how optimising that actually meant that tactics and strategies trickled down into the casual and average playerbase. It makes you think about those hints and tips you heard at school when you were playing these games and what sort of continuous battering by top players gave birth to them lmao.

2 Likes

Wow all these years late to just stumble across this. I wonder if Kojima has seen this. in my head I just picture him giving a thumbs up after seeing it haha. Do you guys speedrun mgs? @Jassassino @DREAMPATH.EXE

1 Like

When I was younger I practiced speedrunning for MGS2. Many of the strats that were used back then are now obsolete. I watch MGS speedrunning almost daily on twitch, it requires a lot of time and dedication to get really good at it. Some of the best runners from ten years ago that held many records haven’t speedrun mgs for many years. I think that the MGS speedrunning community is doing really well now. New runners are taught and encouraged by the rest of the community. MGS1 is the easiest game to start speedrunning with so it has many new runners.

3 Likes

I’m thinking, maybe we should try organizing some community type of speed runs. could be fun seeing everyone’s different strats. maybe start off small, just until the fight with ocelot?

I use to really enjoy watching speed runs but MOSTLY from folks who love MGS. i think @Jmtc1223 did some speed running too.

1 Like

I did the boss battle mode on mgs3, and me, and some guys on mgsf, had a leaderboard competition, and everyone always tried to beat the bosses the fastest,as possible, was pretty tough back in the day, even some pro speed runners joined at one point.

I did try speed running mgs2 and 3,on extreme was very tough, I more than likely rusty as hell with them and there’s been new strats people found out since I last tried to, I was thinking of doing a speed run, and learning the newer strats, but I never did, but still thinking of doing it, just for fun.

1 Like

I would love to try speed running, especially with MGS1. I think there could be some really wild things to try and do with that.

One of my absolutely favourite things with GZ is how much it encourages high optimisation in your infiltration and finishing the mission completely and with the fastest time possible, even locking some rewards behind that. It’s really good in that respect.

I remember the vr mission leaderboards on MGSF. Vr missions could be something easy to start with if we would like to do some MGR community competition. Snake tales or tanker runs could be something too. I am always short on free time so I probably couldn’t do full runs on a regular.

2 Likes

Should we make a ‘General Speedrun Leaderboards and Competition’ thread to spitball these kind of ideas in? I think starting with smaller segments or missions like the VR Missions or the Tanker Missions is a really good idea.

3 Likes

I WOULD LOVE THIS

its been awhile since i tried to speedrun mgs2

1 Like

this is motivating me to practice mgs2 again

3 Likes

Maybe we try to set something up then, does everyone here have the means to record ps3 video? I may actually have to set my phone up to record it lol. I got to admit I suck at speed runs. I like messing with guards tooo much.

Maybe pictures of final scores could work too(?).

1 Like

Yeah that could be cool but i want the drama of video! it’s a real shame the ps3 has no built in capture ability. we gonna have to do this like 2006 and record our tv screens!