Metal Gear Online 2 Revival Server

Hello, I am here to let you all know that Metal Gear Online (MGS4) has been revived a few years ago and is still playable today.

At the time of this post the server currently has 115 active users online.

If you would like to join the revival community and play this great game you will need a few things.

1. A PS3

2. A USB Flash drive formatted to FAT 32

3. A copy of MGS4 or The Japanese MGO Standalone disc

4. If you do not have a working disc drive there is an optional download for CFW users that will allow them to play without an MGS4 disc.

If you have all those things then you are ready to join the fight.

Here are some helpful tutorials that will get you on the game.

1. Official Firmware Tutorial.
    For those of you who DO NOT want to jailbreak your PS3. Using this tutorial will allow you to install MGO and keep a connection to PSN without worrying about SONY banning your console. This method is 100% safe. People have played MGO this way since 2017 without getting banned.

LINK REMOVED

1. Custom Firmware Tutorial.
    For those of you who WANT to jailbreak your PS3. You will not be able to safely access PSN or the PS Store while on CFW.

There are a few perks of being on CFW like being able to backup your games to your PS3’s Hard Drive so you no longer have to use your discs to play. Certain PS2, PSP, and all PS1 games become playable on your PS3 as well whether or not they have a classic on the store.

For MGO specific perks. You obtain the ability to customize the soundtrack and host new Custom Maps that didn’t exist in the original MGO2.

LINK REMOVED

If anyone has any questions I’ll answer them in here. I’ll also try to post updates about the server and any new content when it’s available.

2 Likes

You’re the guy who was posting on the now dead MGSF, right?

Welcome, interesting to see all of this kind of thing going on with fan projects. Hopefully we can help make a great MGO2 community.

I did make an account a few months ago. Very cool work you’ve done there. It’s too bad that I can’t often find games in my timezone :frowning:

Heck yeah! @Jassassino

@SnakeEater Sorry to hear that :frowning:

By the way work is moving along great on the new map. Hopefully it will be completed soon!

I have started to leave my PS3s on all night to hopefully make sure that there are at least 2 rooms up for people that can’t host.

One room is Mix which will mostly have respawn modes with objectives like Base, Capture, and Bomb missions.

The other room is usually a 16 player Team Sneaking room.

1 Like

First of all, this is very dope. Happy to see people reviving the MGO community.

Secondly, welcome to Metal Gear Legacy! Appreciate you signing up.

I had to edit your name and post because we don’t allow usernames that may misconstrue your status on the forum (you had the word ‘admin’ in your name), and secondly because we don’t allow advertising on site so I had to remove the links. I can change your name for you to an actual username that people can get to know you by, rather than something that seems like an advertisement. Let me know if you’d like it changed and I’d be more than happy to do so.

Now that that’s out of the way, I’d say probably make an introduction topic in member announcements introducing yourself (see the sticky in there) and read over our Terms of Service (specifically the Acceptable Use Policy) and such so you’re familiar with the rules if you plan on sticking around. I’ll leave the thread up sans links or maybe we can work something out, as it is a really cool project.

How’d you even go about getting MGO2 started again?

Let me or our other admin @NightFox know if there’s anything else we can help you with!

1 Like

Okay that’s fine! I’ll just post the tutorials here. A few of those links need to be updated anyway.

THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR CFW. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT ACESSING PSN OR THE PS STORE ON YOUR PS3

MGO2R CFW Tutorial 2021

Downloads
MGO2-v30.pkg - Direct (new!)
MGO2 Patch 1.36.pkg - Direct
MGO2 Disc.pkg (optional) - Direct

I. Requirements

To follow this guide, you will need the following:

• A hacked PS3. If you don’t have a hacked PS3, then you need to follow the OFW Guide instead (not yet released).
  • A flashdrive with around 4GB of free space, formatted as FAT32 (alternatively, you can transfer over FTP if you have that set up)
  • A computer (this guide covers Windows 10)

You can check if your flash drive is formatted as FAT32 by right-clicking on it, and clicking on Properties.

If your flashdrive isn’t formatted as FAT32, then it will need to be formatted.
Keep in mind that you will lose all data on your flash drive once you do this. Be sure to copy anything you need off of it.
Be sure to double-check what you are formatting, otherwise you could risk losing data!
You can follow the guide here: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/ … ws-10.html.

II. Console Setup

The Launcher requires that you be on FW 4.80 or higher, and have Cobra available.
For simplicity’s sake, we suggest that you install Ferrox 4.87 from here: Ferrox 4.87.

a. Download the firmware.

b. Open or extract the folder to get the link to the actual firmware.

Copy the link from the text file, and paste it into your browser to download the actual firmaware.

c. On your flashdrive, create a folder named PS3 . Inside that, a folder named UPDATE .

d. Copy the firmware PUP to the UPDATE folder.
Try to rename it to PS3UPDAT . If you get a warning about changing the file extension, then click on No .
If you did not get a warning, then skip to the next step.
Now try to rename it to PS3UPDAT.PUP . The Type of the file should say something like “PUP File”, and not just “File”.

e. Remove your flashdrive from your computer, and plug it in to your PS3.

f. WARNING: Be careful with System Updates! If you install an update from the Internet or an official update from your flashdrive, you will need to hack your PS3 again!
Go to the Settings column in the XMB, then to System Update.

Select Update via Storage Media.

If you did everything correctly, the update data should show up. Select it to start the update.

If the update text is grayed out, then download Rebug 4.81 D-REX instead, and follow the steps again.

e. After updating, go to the Game column in the XMB, go to Package Manager.

Go to Install Package Files.

Go to PS3 System Storage.

The first file should be a Rebug Toolbox PKG. Press X to install it.

f. Go to the Game column in the XMB, and start Rebug Toolbox.

Go to the Selector column, and set Toggle Cobra Mode to Enabled.

Quit Rebug Toolbox. Your PS3 should restart.
To verify that Cobra is enabled, go back in to Rebug Toolbox, and be sure that Toggle Cobra Mode is still set to Enabled.

III. Old Launcher Cleanup

If you have previously used the 1.34 launcher, then you will need to clean up a few things.

a. Delete the old MGO2 Launcher from the XMB.
Go to the Game column in the XMB, hover over the launcher, press Triangle, and Delete it.

b. Delete the old MGO2 Game Data from the XMB.

c. Set your DNS back to Automatic, or what it was normally if you set a manual IP address.
Go to the Settings column in the XMB, go to Network Settings, then Internet Connection Settings.

Go through the setup as normal.
If you have your IP address set to Automatic: on the DNS Setting screen, set it to Automatic.

If you have your IP address set to Manual: set your DNS to what it should be normally. Usually, this is the same as your Default Router.

Test your connection to make sure your settings are good. “Obtain IP Address” and “Internet Connection” should succeed.

IV. Launcher Installation

Download MGO2.pkg and MGO2 Patch 1.36.pkg . Install them on your PS3.
If your game has issues disc-related issues or your disc drive is broken, then download and install MGO2 Disc.pkg as well.

a. Plug your flashdrive back in to your computer, and copy the packages to the root of your flashdrive.
You should not need to rename it.

b. Remove your flashdrive from your computer, and plug it back into your PS3.
Go back to Package Manager, Install Package Files, and select Standard.

Install all the packages.

c. Start up the launcher and follow the instructions.

Note: If you’re failing the version check, then make sure your PS3’s Date and Time is set correctly.

d. If you aren’t using MGO2 Disc.pkg, then make sure to have your disc in the drive.
The first two files are really big, so it might look like it’s stuck copying. Just be patient.

e. The launcher will copy the files from your disc, and launch 1.00 so it can install it’s data.
Once the 1.00 data is installed, the game will quit to the XMB.
If the game data is stuck at 0%, then there is too much running on the PS3. If you have Cobra plugins enabled, then either disable them, or uninstall them.
If you have other apps like CCAPI, then uninstall that too. You can reinstall them after 1.00 gets installed.

f. Start the launcher again. It will be good to go, as long as everything was installed correctly.
Once prompted, log in to your SaveMGO account. If you don’t have one already, create one.

g. Enjoy.

V. Notes

If you start the game up and it tells you that the “Game Data is Corrupted”, it can usually be fixed without much effort.

Quit the Game, start up the launcher, and once you get to the Save Data Notice screen (with Continue X in the bottom-right), then Quit the Game.

Start the launcher back up and run everything normally. The error should go away.
If you still have the error, then try to go in to Recovery Mode on your PS3. Be careful! Choose Restore File System, and see if that fixes your issues.

If you still have the error, or other weird issues like no sound or missing gear on Character Select, then go to Game Data Utility, and delete the “MGS4 Game Data”. This may be different depending on the disc you used.

Try to reinstall the 1.00 data. If that doesn’t work, then delete “MGO2 Launcher Disc Data”, and use MGO2 Disc.pkg.

If you are using a version of the launcher older than Feb 2018:

• Delete the launcher from the XMB’s Game column (don’t delete anything in Game Data Utility).
  • Install the new package.
3 Likes

THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR OFFICIAL FIRMWARE. IT SHOULD WORK ON ANY PS3 AND YOU CAN USE PSN AND THE PS STORE WITH THIS ONE.

MGO2 Zero Tutorial - Sep 2020

Read the video description or this tutorial for links and info.
Note: Please instead go to http://mgo2.savemgo.com/zero when you get to that part of the tutorial.

Original tutorial was written by Gantonio865.

YOU MAKE GAME ID HERE = Sign Up - SaveMGO

HFW Download
Direct Link

I. Requirements

To follow this guide, you will need the following:

• A “normal” PS3, which has PSN access, on FW 4.86 or earlier
  • A disc with MGO data on it (Original, Greatest Hits, or Platinum MGS4, or Japan MGO), newer discs will not work (25th, Legacy), and neither does the Digital Version
  • A flashdrive with around 200MB of free space, formatted as FAT32
  • A computer (this guide covers Windows 10)

You can check if your flash drive is formatted as FAT32 by right-clicking on it, and clicking on Properties.

If your flashdrive isn’t formatted as FAT32, then it will need to be formatted.
Keep in mind that you will lose all data on your flash drive once you do this. Be sure to copy anything you need off of it.
Be sure to double-check what you are formatting, otherwise you could risk losing data!
You can follow the guide here: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/ … ws-10.html.

II. Flashdrive Setup

Download the HFW firmware, and put it on your flashdrive.

a. Download the latest HFW firmware from the downloads section.

b. Create a new folder named PS3 . Go into that folder. Inside that folder, create a new folder named UPDATE .

c. Make sure file extensions are shown (not hidden) in your file viewer. In Windows Explorer, click on View at the top of the window. On the right side in the section labeled Show/hide , make sure File name extensions is checked.

d. Copy the HFW firmware that you just downloaded to the UPDATE folder. Rename it to PS3UPDAT.PUP . There is NO LETTER E .

e. Remove your flashdrive from your computer, and plug it in to your PS3.

III. HFW Installation

Install the HFW firmware from your flashdrive.

a. In the XMB, go to the Settings column, and select System Update .

b. Select Update via storage media . You should see HFW in the name of this firmware. If no firmware is detected, then you may have named the file incorrectly. If not, you may not be on FAT32. If that’s not it either, you might need to use a different flashdrive (older/cheaper ones work best for the PS3).

c. If you can’t install the firmware this way, then go into Recovery Mode on your PS3, and install it there.

e. Install the firmware twice. This ensures everything on the PS3 is fully updated and has no issues.

IV. Game Installation

Check your disc, install MGO, and patch the game files.

a. Put your MGO-compatible disc into the PS3.

b. In the XMB, go to the Network column, and select Internet Browser .

c. Press Start to open the URL prompt. Do not press Triangle and use the browser menu, or you will do an Internet Search, and it will not work! Go to http://mgo2.savemgo.com/zero . Be sure to type it in exactly like that!

e. When the application is ready, press Check Disc . This will make sure that your disc actually has MGO data. If it does not, you will need to get a disc that does, or follow the CFW guide with CFW or HEN. If you get an error about the firmware, you did not install the correct HFW firmware and need to install it again.

f. Now start MGO or MGS4 from the disc. If you are prompted for the MGS4 2.00 update, decline it. You should see MGO in the menu. Start it! If you do not see MGO in the MGS4 menu, then you have the 2.00 update installed, and will need to uninstall it. Your old MGS4 2.00 saves will unfortunately no longer work. In the XMB, go to the Game column, select Game Data Utility , and delete the MGS4 Game Data . Now start the game again, decline the 2.00 update, and you should see MGO in the menu.

g. Let the game install the MGO 1.00 game data. Once you get to the title screen, hold the PS Button, and Quit Game .

h. Go to the internet browser and go to the same URL in step C. Select your MGO/MGS4 disc region in the top-left, and press Install 1.01 . When that’s done, start MGO again. You should no longer see the prompt for the MGS4 2.00 update. When you get to the MGO title screen, you should be on Version 1.01.

i. Start the game and accept the TOS. You should be prompted to install Version 1.36 . Select HTTP Download and watch something on Netflix or smoke for the next hour or so. Once the data has been downloaded, press X to install it. This takes about 10 minutes. After the install, Quit Game and start again.

j. Congratulations! You should now be on Version 1.36! You will be prompted to download the latest game updates in the future.

h. Please note: NEVER DELETE THE GAME DATA!
If you delete the game data, you will lose access to MGO, and will need to follow this guide again, if possible on your firmware.
If you have the “Game Data is Corrupted” issue in the future, please check Notes.

V. Notes

If you start the game up and it tells you that the “Game Data is Corrupted”, it can usually be fixed without much effort.
Quit the Game, re-start up the game. Once you get to the Save Data Notice screen (with Continue X in the bottom-right), quit the game.
Start the game back up and run everything normally. The error should go away.
If you still have the error, then try to go in to Recovery Mode on your PS3. Be careful! Choose Restore File System, and see if that fixes your issues.

What is “Zero”?

a. zero-mgo2 is an application made to install MGO2 without having to install Custom Firmware on your PS3.

b. There are 4 controls here at the top of the screen.

Game: This selects your game data folder for your disc. MGS4 NA, MGS4 EU, MGS4 JP, and MGO JP are the options here. Make sure this matches your disc!

Check Disc: Checks your disc to make sure it has MGO data on it. (25th anniversary and Legacy Collection discs do not work, remember!)

Install 1.01: Installs the 1.01 update on your MGO game data. If it worked, it should say “Install complete!”

Delete Patch Lock: If you get stuck on an MGO game update, you can select this to let you redownload the update.

3 Likes

New update to be released on the 13th anniversary of Metal Gear Online 2’s launch.

2 new maps are being added to the game. They were ported from Metal Gear Arcade and tweaked around a bit to try and fit Metal Gear Online 2’s gameplay.

2 Likes

You guys did this? I’m really impressed, is there still average skilled players that play? I was very middle of the road, doberman or hound ranked. Will i just get destroyed if i get back into this? You got me nostalgia tripping hard rn seeing a new MGS4 style trailer.

2 Likes

Most of the people that play now are about average skilled. There’s a few really good ones but they stick to Survival/Mix type rooms.

There’s a lot of Team Sneaking, TDM, and Rescue Mission players. Those are usually the 3 main rooms that are always up all day.

Other times of the day there will be some Mixed rooms, Sneaking Mission rooms, and then of course when Japanese people are awake and playing there’s all kinds of rooms up.

1 Like

Ohh darn, if i can hunt down an old ps3 i may give it a shot. do you play on ps3 or the pc?

1 Like

I play on both.

PC server is mostly a mix player server. They rarely host one room that’s only one game mode.

PS3 server is mostly Team Sneaking, RES, and TDM although both servers have a bunch of new players joining so maybe that will change soon. When Japanese players are on there’s like 5 TSNE rooms all going at once and some are actually nice to foreigners and let them stay.

1 Like

ahh great news then. i have a potential free ps3 coming my way so i’m about to give this an honest shot in the coming weeks.

you didnt keep your ps3? how dare you!

this looks super cool tbh

1 Like

No i did but i dont want to get banned by sony!

Here’s some footage of the new maps in action.

3 Likes

Man, the thing with this that brings me back the most is the sound effects. I really wish I had time to set this all up. Footage looks great, really.

1 Like

Man, i wanna get this running on PC, i was just recently playing the first mission on mgs4 and got really nostalgic for the old map, also thought about this new map. I got to look into if my pc can push this.

Great vids look like they work well, i wish we could get this community back on there, it could be really fun since in the past we were all region locked from eachother.

1 Like

PC would probably be the easiest to get people on since I think more people have PCs now than working PS3s.

That’s the PC server setup. Keep in mind they don’t have the new maps yet because they’re a different group of people who run it. None of them made any new maps yet. But they have done special wonky events like full teams of special characters all fighting each other.

3 Likes

@NightFox If you’re down for PC setup I’ll jump on to play together.

1 Like