Final Fantasy - Main Chat

Maybe I will play it through then. I played the start of FFXVI in the demo and it was kind of nice to do the “tutorial” and then wait for the game’s release.

Yeah I liked that too. Really liked the extra little bit in the castle with the boss battle (although that didn’t carry over as you were given abilities that you wouldn’t have at that point in the main game). Was a great insight into combat.

That’s another reason why I’m happy to play this too, I only finished Intermission a few months ago but I tried to play Remake again a bit and had completely forgotten how to use Cloud so I really want to brush up.

Think there’s a Junon section being added in an update in a few weeks but I’ll leave that as it doesn’t carry over and will be condensed compared to the final game.

I hadn’t anticipated that I’d spend full price on this (I was going to wait for a sale) but FF7R was an absolute treat 4 years ago and the closer this gets to release, but more excited I’m starting to get.

I’m still nervously skeptical as to what they’re planning on doing with the story.

1 Like

I´ve been doing this for years now. Actually 7 Remake is the only game in that period that I bought shortly after the release and the reason I bought a PS4 and started gaming again. Rebirth will be my first pre-order, ever probably. Buying a game at release, such a moment would take me back to early PS3 era. Been anticipating this game so much. And I got a €45 coupon for my birthday. :eyes:

1 Like

Anyone end up playing the demo then? Liked a lot of aspects of it. Combat still feels fun despite limited enemies, the options you have with the piano minigame have a ridiculous amount of depth and I felt like a lot of the initial scenes in Nibelheim were done really well (especially Cloud going back to see his mother, it felt like it was a perfect translation of the original scene).

However I will say that the Mount Nibel section was pretty annoying. Slow walking sections including walking/crawling through gaps again, and just a lot of filler once again. I hope there’ll be a lot less of that in the main game because I found it frustrating in Remake.

Just got done with it. I thought it was a really great rendition of the Nibelheim Incident. Leaves questions but does a lot of legwork in explaining Cloud and Sephiroth’s relationship. The environments were all done really well too.

Demo spoilers:

Playing as Sephiroth was cool but I don’t think anything comes close to conveying just how badass he is gameplay wise to that encounter in the original FF7 where he’s in your party and one shots that enemy you can’t dent. On some level I feel like maybe he shouldn’t be playable but I understand why they’ve done it.

It felt like I wasn’t really forced to walk slowly at all so long as I was following Tifa? All felt quite streamlined. I actually didn’t even sprint for most of it and it still felt quite speedy to me.

Even just in areas around the main area it felt like you were encouraged to explore then it slowed up, also the bloody tight wall gap thing, I get why it’s done but surely loading can be done in a better manner. The thing with the mako bursts was painful too. I’m hopeful we won’t see too much of that in the full game when we get to the open world though.

Agree with your spoilered section too, a nice idea but the small section in the flashback in the original is perfect for the impact it has. I really hope they don’t change the Midgar Zolom section where you come back to it later on and find Sephiroth has impaled it. It’s perfect as it is so I don’t want any cutscene where you see it happening or anything.

1 Like

Why though? I don´t, except for fan service? Maybe. Agree with everything else you guys said.

I think making him playable, and after Crisis Core remake more “likeable” even, now makes him less mysterious, or badass. Bad ass isn´t the right word, but my English is too limited I guess lol. In the original he was always coming and going, untouchable, invincible. @NateDog really hits the nail on the head; in the original you and your crew can´t even make a dent in the Midgar Zolom, while Sephiroth casually offs him with the Masamune. As a kid I was in awe. I do hope they leave that part.

1 Like

16 was great. Top shit. Every other Final Fantasy game is just absolutely not my thing.

Been playing a little bit of Final Fantasy 7 OG in preparation for Rebirth. Want to refamiliarise myself with the story (in particular the Cloud/Zack stuff which I’ve forgotten the specifics of) before diving into the new game.

2 Likes

Disappointed to find that “skip the Nibelheim chapter” just means a gameplay section of it. Running through stuff I ran through a week ago right at the beginning of the game isn’t much of a hype builder lmao

2 Likes

Glad I didn´t play the demo. :rofl: The game is sitting in my mailbox, getting soaked. Hopefully not.
Have a busy karate tournament weekend, but free on monday to dive in this.

Summary

:eyes::repeat:

1 Like

My copy isn’t arriving until Monday, on a late week where I’ll have no chance to play it. And I’ve been off work since Monday sick too so if it was here today I would have had an extremely rare day where I could actually sink a few hours into it. Sickened (quite literally).

1 Like

That sucks mate. I´ve put my pic in spoiler tags ´cause I feel sorry now.
I might get an hour or 2 in tonight. If not it will be for Monday.

Hah don’t worry, I’m at least a bit lucky that I’ll be on slightly shorter hours in work in a few weeks for a couple of weeks due to Paddy’s Day and Easter so hopefully I’ll get some time then to sink my teeth into it.

About 3 hours in so far. Looks promising for when you’re into the swing of things, but extremely daunting to begin with. Kalm is absolutely massive now, and there’s tutorials up the wazoo.

1 Like

Kind of glad of that tbh, completely forgot how to play Remake after Intermission, was half the reason why I played the demo to try to get used to it again and we have more characters now.

Another reason I regret playing the demo is that the first bit of ‘real’ gameplay after that section…is a tutorial for a card game? :sob:

Square desperately trying to capture that Gwent/Triple Triad magic. I do like a good card game, but not sure how much I care for Queen’s Blood

Had the same feeling, so many tutorials. But then, there is so much to do now. I LOVE IT. Absolutely love what they have done with the World Map. The game feels huge.
I didn´t have much time to play yet. Storywise
I´ve reached the swamp right before Midgar Zolom.
But I´m doing the sidequests in Kalm now.

Love just exploring. This is way better than the snooker table that was World Map in the original, haha.
The only thing I think is a bit too much is Chadley´s presence and the towers you have to activate. Takes away from the feeling of exploring, for me. If they had just put him in every town where I could ignore him until I choose to do some missions, that would´ve been great.