Retro Consoles and Gaming

With each day we slip deeper into photorealism, higher fidelity and smoother playing games, I have this feeling, like there’s something missing. Sometimes it feels good to just dig out an old console and just play something that feels a little more real. Games with experimental ideas, steep learning curves and maybe something that’s not the prettiest on paper but art direction wise, still reading off the disc and not from an install it blows your mind. Consoles and games with character, warts and all. As much as I enjoy my PS5, I’ve been finding myself yearning for the feelings of old, chalk it up to old age! at ease.

Anyways a about a week ago I “rediscovered” my ancient Wii in the basement. Cleaned it up and was smitten by how new it still looked, beside the coloring of the white wires getting a weird tinge I was surprised how well I kept it. I couldn’t help but admire how cool this little console was. Had the right weight, sturdy feel, ports for gc memory cards and accessories. Turns out the last time the wii logged any activity was August 2011, 13 freaking years ago. Grabbed Twin Snakes, Eternal dDarkness, gc REmake and the best resident evil, re4 wii edition. for the next few days I was more gripped on games than I’ve been for the few months since beating cyberpunk.

Maybe it’s just chasing a feeling, maybe it’s just like junk food or a comfy blanket. I have to say though, losing track of hours while gaming is always a feeling I cherish lol

Enough about me rambling. Id love to hear if any of you ever hook up the old consoles and just game a few days on og Hardware. I want to hear about your own feelings. Or are you kinda just over that era of gaming? let me know!

pics are encouraged!

5 Likes

I totally get the nostalgia for retro gaming. Lately, I’ve been revisiting my old PS2, diving into classics like Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid 3. There’s something special about the simplicity and innovation of those older games that modern titles, with all their polish, sometimes lack.

I haven’t fired up the Wii in ages, but your post might just inspire me to dust it off. There’s a certain charm in those motion controls and unique game library that feels timeless. It’s amazing how these older consoles can still offer such gripping experiences despite their age.

For me, playing on OG hardware isn’t just about the games—it’s about the whole experience. The feel of the old controllers, the clunky menus, even the occasional disc read error—all of it takes me back. It’s a bit like visiting an old friend.

There’s a unique joy in rediscovering the quirks and challenges of retro games. It reminds me that sometimes, less is more.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking more and more, while remakes are fine,especially for exposing new fans to older franchises,somehow, someway, we’re missing the true basic beauty of what made these games, or dare I say works of art for their time, losing some of the context. SoTC is a great example. You look at what was accomplished on the ps2, sure we got like 15 frames sometimes But it’s almost because of the constraints of the system you can truly appreciate all the blood, sweat and tears the OG teams put into these games.

in a world were everything Controls like CoD, we lost alot of personality.

2 Likes

Love this, cool topic. I´m the same. Maybe it´s because I´m older, but I miss those days of connection free gaming.
I´ve been playing on PS3 a lot the past year or so, and recently I moved, to another house, and there was no wifi. My kid couldn´t play Fortnite anymore so I had a few good laughs already. Didn´t have a connection for about a month.
I used this opportunity to bring back the GOAT.

With moving and work in the house I didn´t get to play a lot, but I definitely plan on keeping it in my setup. Or maybe the Slim.
Need to get some games back though. I still have the original MGS games, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus. Also Resident Evil 4. I´ve never played Max Payne and with the recent revival I want to give those two games on the PS2 a try before the remakes come out.

4 Likes

Almost all of my gaming in recent years has been a blend of newer titles alongside revisiting older ones in one form or another. I got a new TV recently alongside a new bench with way more storage options and more room for my systems but I ensured I still had the WiiU and PS3 around. In the last year or two alone I’ve played:

• All MGS titles from MG up to MGS4 (still getting through MGS4 though, been on a break since FFVII Rebirth came out) excluding Portable Ops
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Shadow Of The Colossus
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Mario Party 8/9
  • Wii Sports
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Warioware Smooth Moves
  • Metroid Prime

I’ve been waiting for the retro game store in my city to get a copy of TTS in for nearly 3 years (have €90 credit with them and know it still probably won’t be enough) but seems like most sellers must be going on eBay as they used to get it in regularly enough.

I still love my older systems. Sometimes I wonder if I’m wasting time playing stuff I’ve already experienced. I have such a backlog that grows and grows every year. I rewatch so many movies I love often too, or even just revisit ones I’ve seen only once to get another feel for it. Sometimes I worry it’s a little unhealthy and a sign of where I am in life, harkening back to times where life felt easier, more simple. Searching for feelings and comfort I had, as if I want to place myself back where I was all those years ago when I first had those experiences. Maybe I’m enabling myself sinking into something. But maybe that’s a part of why so many people seem to want remakes now. They want to feel those feelings and sensations they felt 10/20/30 years ago when they first played Metal Gear Solid 3 and were wowed by the design of the The End fight or sneaking through a jungle, or they want to feel how they felt in FFVII when the truth about Cloud is revealed, or they want to feel what it was like to first get into the police station in Resident Evil 2 again.

I was just discussing with someone how I used to always push myself to finish every game I played even if I didn’t like it, but a few years ago I finally told myself it’s not worth it. We play games to have fun and feel something good, if it’s not there then it’s not worth it. So maybe it isn’t so bad to let ourselves feel good and happy with nostalgia.

3 Likes

Man, I’ve got so much to add to this topic but just highlighting your experiences with the Wii - this console feels ageless in such a great way. I’ve got the Aqua Blue version which pairs great with my Pink PS2 Slim as a Pink/Blue colour combo. The design of the Wii is great, it’s just a box, sure, but it’s just slick enough and with sharpened edges to define it that it looks great in any room or setup. My family got this one Christmas day to play a few games over the holidays, and it came out about 3 or 4 times before my parents just handed it to me and said “I don’t think this is getting as much use as we thought it would.” - Essentially, my family just wanna watch movies and chat when they hang out, not do anything “taxing” LOL. But it’s only in the recent years that I’ve been playing the Wii a good amount. Me and Soph have been playing Mario Kart Wii in huge amounts since we got together in intermittent phases, and honestly it’s great. Played through about half of Skyward Sword on this too (before my remote ran out of batteries and I just never bothered to replace them lmao) and I loved that game purely for its art direction and soundtrack, then I’ve recently watched Soph playthrough Twilight Princess on it. When I get around to it, I’m looking forward to playing Red Steel too, another recommendation from my girlfriend. A lot of gems on this bad boy!

4 Likes

I don’t know about anybody else, but I often struggle to go back to older games, even the critically acclaimed GOAT games. My brain is used to a lot of modern day conveniences that make older games feel a bit archaic or antiquated. Things like autosave, fast travel, super fast loading times, quest markers and rebindable control schemes.

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying, it’s not like I dislike modern systems or anything but the best simile I can make is that of cars. Noone can deny the modern day advances with them, hell arguably the drive is best it’s ever been. Even so, every few months you get this itch. you have your old muscle car (or anything before 2010’s lol)in the garage and you’ve just been thinking about it, the tactile, mechanical nature of it. No bells and whistles just a raw drive, you feel everything. it may not be your daily driver (anymore) but it’s an experience that’s uncomparable, you feel one with the road. Your new car though makes getting everywhere worry free and has its slew of benefits it’s just another experience.

@NateDog Ye, some of it has to do with the good feelings of time gone, but pardon the second comparison lol. I feel it’s giving me a similiar feeling as putting a vinyl record in. it’s a bit more analog, hell I think up until first gen 360 all the video outputs were analog. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve trauma bonded with gaming during hard parts of my youth, I acknowledge it. With time though I’ve come to appreciate the world we all left behind. The things we had were the stepping stone into this almost completely digital age we’re in now. I guess some of the magic is gone now with every game adapting some version of unreal engine.

@Jassassino ohh hell yeah the wii was a stocky boy. beefed up GC in a sleek package. i didn’t know the wii did movies, dvds?

3 Likes

Yeah I get you. I’m still very much a physical media kind of guy. Never stopped collecting music, although with my hi-fi system unusable right now I’ve moved to vinyl from CD mostly after Leah got me a player a few years ago, still pick up every movie I like on blu-ray / 4K and I don’t see that ever changing. Even if a movie is available at the click of a button a streaming service, I’ll still dig it out of my boxes if I have it. I had a car crash about a year after I got my licence and I got a car loan of a car that was only 2 years old at the time. It was a dream to drive but I absolutely detested the amount of buttons in the thing, especially the wheel which was completely covered in them and I hate the idea of ever having to own a car with that in it. As you say sometimes you just want the more barebones experience.

4 Likes

is a bit funny though about bare bone experiences when the ps3 was a bounced we were soo excited for the multimedia experience. still one of the tuff’est consoles ever made!

3 Likes

Actually interesting you bring this up as a comparison. Electronic features and touch tech in cars is going to become far more popular, not because of consumer demand (everybody except Tesla hags seem to hate the trend), but because it’s far cheaper. Will not be surprised if this kind of crap follows through to gaming somehow, cheap touchscreen controllers which lose functionality after 3 months or touch screen tops of consoles to turn it on or off - we already had touch sensitive buttons on first phase of PS4, which were absolute shite. :sob:

2 Likes

Already on the way, unfortunately.

1 Like

OHHHHHHH… MY GOD!!

I’m raising my boy right!

5 Likes

Did everyone forget about SIXAXIS where they made one fucking game that was compatible with it? (Warhawk) What a fucking flop in technology. Absolute waste!

1 Like

One R&C game used it well but yeah it was a shame, especially when you see how well a lot of Nintendo game utilise gyro controls.

1 Like

Sony has a bad habit of dropping interesting concepts or not utilizing them. I played RE7 in VR on my sister’s PSVR and it was fucking amazing, however, I can’t recall another big title that really used it. Same with their light gun for the PS3, I beat Killzone 3 with it on my uncle’s giant television and it actually played exceptionally well despite how short it was. Again, can’t think of another title that utilized it.

1 Like

Weird thing with SixAxis is that it worked like absolute dogshit for 90% of games, but the occasional developer for a game every once in a blue moon obviously understood how to jury rig the piece of shit pretty intuitively to make it work well. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction has the smoothest SixAxis sections in any game I’ve played, but try to use it to walk and balance across a beam in Uncharted 2? Drake is gonna be splitting his skull on some Aztec gold in 0.01 seconds.

Kudos to Sony where it’s due though, they did build on it with Playstation Move, but that was priced so high with so few games that I don’t actually think I know a single person who copped it.

So cute. :sob:

1 Like

This was one of the flagship SIXAXIS games, wasn’t it?

Yeah, a proper polished tech demo for it in the parts it had. Ship piloting and combat levels and on-rails segments.

Compare that to GTAIV’s helicopter piloting lmao. Controlled like an RC chinook with one rotor and half dead batteries